The Endowment Fund
What is an Endowment Fund?
An endowment is not savings account or rainy day fund. Its purpose is to generate money for Christ’s ministry. Donors to our endowment intend their gift to support the church’s work for many, many years to come. Their past generosity greatly expands our ability to do ministry today and tomorrow.
Our Endowment fund was established in 1923 and provides significant financial support for our Annual General Fund as well for a variety of significant ministries that are outside of the Annual Budget including: Lake Fellows, Footsteps of Faith, Next Steps, CenterPoint Counseling, Music and Fine Arts, Children’s Circle Preschool, Clergy/Staff Renewal Grants, Restoration and Repair Building Projects....
There is no minimum requirement for contributions. You can make a gift to the Endowment at any time. Many members provide for an Endowment Gift in their estate plan, through a will, bequest, assignment of life insurance, IRA, 401(k), etc. Click here for more information on making a bequest to the Endowment (or to inform us that you have already made plans to do so)
Descriptions of Selected Endowment Funds
The Endowment Fund actually consists of 90 discrete funds. Some of the more frequently designated funds for bequests include:
- Building Fund - By policy, undesignated bequests are deposited in this fund which provides for the cost of new buildings, existing building renovations, existing building major repairs and other expenditures considered as capital expenditures. This fund also provides for the expenses related to the general administration and fund raising activities of the church.
- Generation to Generation Fund - provides annual support for the church’s General Fund.
- Karen Lake Buttrey Samaritan Fund - Supports the Second Presbyterian Church Samaritan Fund for counseling services to those with financial need.
- Music and Fine Arts Fund - Provides for the development of special artistic performances, to enhance and expand music education at Second and to underwrite fine arts mission and outreach activities. See Music and Fine Arts for additional information about supporting these ministries.
- Lewis F. Galloway Fund – Supports the Northside Mission Ministry Food Pantry of Second Presbyterian Church.
- Enright Fund for Youth and Young Adult Ministries - Supports young people who are members of Second Church in mission internships at home or abroad or in support of special Youth Mission trips or study programs (e.g. Footsteps of Faith).
Director of Stewardship