Why We Give
Giving generously is a matter of identity, gratitude, and impact.
- First, giving is a matter of our identity. We are created in the image of God who is exceedingly good and generous. As we give generously, we fulfill a deep truth of our identity and purpose as children of God. Because giving is what we were created to do, being a generous giver is the way to live a full and meaningful life.
- Second, it is a matter of gratitude. Giving generously is a way to thank God for all the blessings we have received: our individual lives; the loved ones around us; our time, talent, and treasure; the forgiveness of our sins; and the promise of resurrection to eternal life. We express our gratitude by loving God and neighbor, following Christ’s teachings, and generously sharing from what God has given us.
- Third, it is a matter of impact. Jesus told us to make disciples, feed the hungry, clothe the naked…to transform both people and the world. Our generous giving through Second Presbyterian Church makes a difference in the world.
How to Give
There are many ways to support the church financially: cash or check; on-line; credit card or automatic withdrawal from a bank account (EFT/ACH); withdrawal from an IRA; stock transfer, grant from a Donor Advised Fund or Family Foundation.
- Cash or check. You can place cash or check in the offering plate during worship. If contributing cash, please use a pew envelope so we can properly credit your contribution. You can also send a check to the church office.
- Online. Go to SecondChurch.org/give and follow the instructions for on-line through the church website. For security purposes, you will be required to set up an account and password.
- Credit Card or automatic withdrawal. Go to SecondChurch.org/give and follow the instructions for credit card and ATM contributions. Please note that the church pays a fee for each EFT/ACH transaction. Transactions directly between your bank account and the church cost considerably less than credit card transactions. For more information, contact Martha Nommay.
- IRA. If you are over 70 ½ years of age, you can make a contribution from your mandatory minimum withdrawal. Contact the financial institution that manages your IRA. Please note that this contribution must come directly from your IRA trustee.
- Stock Transfer. Gifts of stock are welcome and the process is simple. The stock gift is transferred from your broker to our account at Schwab.
- o Account name: Second Presbyterian Church;
- o Account #: 6081-5420
- o DTC#: 0164
- o Federal Tax ID #: 35-0868030
To ensure your gift is acknowledged, please notify Martha Nommay with:
- Your name
- Name or entity for acknowledgement (Trust or Foundation, if applicable)
- Stock name and # of shares
- How you'd like to direct your gift (annual budget/pledge/other)
- Grant from a Donor Advised Fund or Family Foundation. Simply request your sponsoring organization to make a grant to Second Presbyterian Church. To ensure your gift is acknowledged, please notify Martha Nommay with:
- Your name
- Name of the DAF or Family Foundation sponsor
- Amount of gift
- How you’d like to direct your gift (annual budget/pledge/other)
How Much to Give
Each gift, no matter the size, makes a difference. A one-time contribution counts. Or, you may prefer to make a continuing contribution (weekly, monthly, or quarterly). Setting a specific goal (or pledge) helps you to be more intentional about your financial our priorities. When considering how much to give, using a percentage of income may be helpful. The Bible speaks of a tithe (10%) as a worthy goal.