Souper Bowl of Caring
Join our team in February!
On February 12, more than 100 million Americans will watch the Super Bowl, while 50 million people in this country are food insecure. In fact, in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, unemployment and food insecurity soared, and more people are turning to food banks and programs to help provide basic nourishment. In Marion County alone, almost 25% of all residents are currently food insecure.
The "Souper Bowl of Caring” began with a Presbyterian minister in Columbia, SC, who prayed with his youth group: “Lord, even as we watch the big game, help us be mindful of people who don’t have enough to eat.” We continue with the Souper Bowl of Caring every February here at Second and we are proud to support our Northside Food Pantry through this event.
- We will be collecting canned and dry goods, as well as other necessities for our Food Pantry starting Monday, January 30 and running through Sunday, February 12. Download a list of suggested items to donate.
- We are also accepting financial donations from now through February 12 that will be used to purchase food and supplies for the pantry. Donations can be made several ways:
- Online at SecondChurch.org/Give (select drop-down box: Souper Bowl of Caring)
- Via the tithe.ly app (select drop-down box: Souper Bowl of Caring)
- Text to give: (833) 818-3036 (include your gift amount + Souper Bowl)
- In person after worship services on February 5 and 12
Did you know that an average of 2,140 people receive food from our Northside Food Pantry every month? Northside Food pantry is open three days a week and provides nutritious food to neighbors in and around Washington Township. Monetary donations help support the purchase of healthy food, such as milk, eggs and produce. Demand for Northside Food Pantry has grown over the past few years, up 40% in 2022, so your support is very important to this ministry right now. Your contributions through the Souper Bowl of Caring, as well as all year long, help the Northside Food Pantry to mobilize over 264,000 pounds of donated food and purchase food from Gleaners Food Bank.
Please consider supporting the Souper Bowl of Caring and using this special opportunity to help feed the hungry.
Thank you for your generosity!
Northside Food Pantry
Suggested Items for donating (all should be regular size portions, 15-16 oz., 1 lb.)
Peanut butter- plastic not glass
Jelly- plastic not glass
Pasta- Elbow and Penne
Chicken or Beef Ramen
Dry beans- 1 lb. (black, pinto, lentil, 15 bean soup)
Sloppy Joe (canned)
Beef Stew (canned)
Soup (favorites are chunky chicken noodle, cream of mushroom or chicken, tomato, vegetable)
Canned fruit (mandarin or pineapple are favorites)
Spices and condiments
NON FOOD ITEMS
Shampoo, body wash, deodorant, toothpaste